-
December 2nd, 2003, 01:38 PM
#1
Inactive Member
^^;;; Heads up to anyone reading the next 4 chapters of Cain: I don't guarantee the names. Here's why.
Katakana: Re-na-a-do.
English possibilities:
Leonard (because English L = R and English AR is usually rendered as long A so this is my leading candidate)
Reynard (a more uncommon name but also linguistically possible from that sound series)
Reynold (also possible since the l after the o gets blurred the same way an r after a vowel does, and the o makes a somewhat a-like sound)
^^;;; And don't even get me started on the number of desperate attempts I've been through to turn "ku-re-ha-do-ru" into a French last name. @_@ I think I'm going with Clehadault, since he also gets called "Clay" as a nickname later on...
and I know "Clay" didn't come from his first name, which is sounded out like Dominique and which I'm just going to shudder and adjust to Dominic because there are only so many men running around with women's names that I can handle in one series. (Jezebel, Cassandra, and Sheila by themselves have crossed my threshold already... ^^; [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
December 2nd, 2003, 02:04 PM
#2
Inactive Member
I've seen people refer to the magician as Dominique Clehandol... Don't know whether that's correct, though.
-
December 2nd, 2003, 02:23 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Clehandol's definitely wrong because there's no n sound in the name. Clehadol's possible, but it's incredibly not French, and he's established as French.
Dominique would work if he were a she, but then that's never stopped Yuki-sensei before... ^^;;
-
December 2nd, 2003, 07:33 PM
#4
Inactive Member
hmmm ive heard dominique as a girls name and a boys name. but maybe to make its pronounced like dominick?? prolly stretching it with that one...but i definetly new a guy named dominique
-
December 2nd, 2003, 10:16 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I'm pro the Leonard for the first one, and the second sound like Claude to me ^^ (which is at least french ^^; ) and for the Dominique thing, I've seen boys and girl named Dominic, Dominik and Dominique, and never realy figured out what was the conventionnal one for boys and girls ( Claude is for both boys and girls too. I guess Kaori Yuki-sensei just likes hermaphrodites names ^^;;;; )
<font color="#660033" size="1">[ December 02, 2003 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Yue ]</font>
-
December 2nd, 2003, 11:46 PM
#6
Inactive Member
It could also be simply "Renard". Emphasis would be on the "a".
-Reikou
-
December 3rd, 2003, 02:17 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Don't know if it would help but
Leonard refers to someone with lion attributes
Reynard is French for Fox.
-
December 3rd, 2003, 07:46 AM
#8
Inactive Member
i think it should be dominique clayhadour (this sounds most frenchish among all those choices and all my friends think so) i've been thinking about that for quite a while [img]wink.gif[/img]
hey i always think that dominique is a GUY's name, i never imagined it's a woman's name
<font color="#660033" size="1">[ December 03, 2003 03:50 AM: Message edited by: ^fluffy^ ]</font>
-
December 3rd, 2003, 07:19 PM
#9
Inactive Member
"Dominique" is a name used in France for both boys and girls. The name "Dominic" doesn't exist there, at least I never heard it.
-
December 3rd, 2003, 11:17 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Renard is fox, but just to tell you that keep in mind that "clay" can't be pronunced the same in french as it is in english, it would soun more like "clah -y" for you , so...
Erm, say, is this guy having ANY affinity with the moon, or being some kind of a werewolf, by any chances?
Because my big brother and I just kinda brainstomed with you "kurehadoru" and came up with "Claire de lune" -> Full Moon (but kinda rejected that one 'cuz she could've written "ku-re-ha-do-lu-n" then) or "Col?re de loup" = Wolf's anger/ Anger of a wolf (okay, that one sounds better in french) but that still doens't realy sounds like a normal last name. .. We kept it, still, since Kaori Yuki tends to have .strange. names ^^;;
Still, I'll write again is anything flashes but it doesn't sounds like anything we know of yet ._. sorry.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks